Saturday, January 7, 2012

The treadmill and I now are friends......

 For the last year during my training, I have always hated the thought of getting on the treadmill. My feet hurt, my legs hurt, I go slow and I just felt like a concrete log clopping on the treadmill... In fact, just two weeks ago, I completed a 5K test on the treadmill and it was like I was fighting every step to stay faster.. I finished that in 36:49 but like I said, I felt like my legs were concrete logs clopping on the treadmill.


This week, this all changed.... I have made amends with the treadmill and I had a great run.. I just got the new Garmin foot pod so I had to calibrate it. I did 10 minute warm-up at a comfortable pace (12:30 min/mile) and got the foot pod calibrated.. then I was getting ready with my ipod to run the BRC (Bartlett Rec Center) track and my battery was dead.. So, I had a choice, run with no music or hop on the treadmill and listen to music while the ipod charged.. I like my music when I run, so on the treadmill I go.  I started out slowly and started to increase my speed...See I had to run 30 minutes in Zone 3 for my heart rate > 144 bpm.. I started out at a 12:30 pace.. heart rate was in zone 2 and nowhere close to zone 3.. increased the speed to 12.. still in zone 2, my legs felt great! I felt like I was running outside..increased the speed to 11:45, still in zone 2, I was feeling great, so I increased the speed and pushed it to 11 min/mile and I was still in zone 2.. so I pushed it to 10:30 min/mile..OMG.. I hadn't gone this fast is such a long time.. I was ecstatic.. I hit zone 3 and stayed there for a little while and then I was losing my breath and slowed down back to 11:00 min/mile. I made friends with the treadmill..It is nice to run on the treadmill...I sent my data to Lesley and she too was amazed.. my cadence is exactly where it needs to be.. I never knew about cadence on running until we talked and  I just need to keep doing what I am doing.. Lesley has been so great! I love working with her....

So for now, I like the treadmill.. hopefully, tomorrow, we will still be friends, as I have to run for an hour....

Happy Training,
Eling

No comments:

Post a Comment