Monday, June 27, 2011

Getting back to a normal routine..

This past week was getting back to a normal routine and to really get into the training. I sat down and wrote out my workout, with the thought that I would try to follow it..For the most part, I did..Yeah me! I had to adjust my workouts because I now had to be a mom, wife and a Clinical Team manager.  For the most part, I followed it, but I had to make adjustments as I had work "fires" come up. Last week, I was getting up at 4:30 am to make sure I got my workout in..That is hard to do, by 9 pm each night, I was really tired and ready to go to bed. I really did look forward to Saturday when I got to sleep in.. that is if you think sleeping to 6 am is sleeping in.  Getting back to a normal routine will take some time..

So, what did I do last week??
 Swimming workout
I hadn't swam in Annapolis and boy could I feel it..my shoulders and legs where screaming at me.. saying "WHAT  ARE YOU DOING!!!"  I continued with the sets and felt great after that! I was ready to tackle the world.  Last Friday, I took my first Master Swim class and again.. my body was going.."What are you doing to me???" I now knew what my son was saying about his coach. He is hard but encouraging. Actually, the Friday swim felt really good on my joints after the run I had on Wed. Then on Saturday, I went to Gray's lake and swam open water. If you ever swam open water, it is soo different than swimming in a pool. The water is murky or brown and there isn't a wall to push off of. My destination was to the red barn and back which equals 500 yards. My hubby wanted to do this 5 times. So.. I get started and halfway across, I look up and freaked out for a moment.. my head was going "OMG.. that is a long way to the barn".. I put my head down and started singing " ♫ row, row, row your boat ♫ ♫" you see.. this has been my song for the longest time to calm me down when I am swimming so I don't drown. I guess it has a good rhythm to remember to breathe.. This helped me a lot and I finished 4 laps (to and from the red barn). Now, I just need to do this continuously for more than 4 laps and I will be ok for the the swim in the half.

Biking/Brick
Holy Molly... yesterday I did a brick set.. What is a brick? This is when you complete to sets of exercises for one setting...So yesterday, I rode my bike for 34 miles.. great ride!  I finished the ride in 2 hours and 20 minutes and then I tried to run 6 miles.. The big word here is try.. It was already 95 degrees and felt like 103 and I barely completed 2 miles. In fact, my walk was faster than my run.. that didn't work at all. I was deflated after that workout.. I kept asking.. " How am I going to ride for 56 miles and then run a half marathon.." then I realized.. I have about 16 weeks to work on this.. So, instead of doing what I have done in the past and give in to my doubts.. I picked myself up and said " I can do this!"  I still think I am crazy.. but you know.. I really do want to complete this half..

Running..
This last week, I didn't run as much as I wanted. Actually, I only ran a 5k on Wednesday and tried to run yesterday. So this week, I am going to try to incorporate more training on the run.. Yes... I am probably be one of those crazy people, that I used to think and workout in the morning and again in the evening.. go figure..

Now, we I have to get ready for this week. I woke up again at 4:30 this morning and tomorrow is a run set.. I hope I can do this.

Happy Training!
 Eling 

No comments:

Post a Comment