Thursday, September 22, 2011

Teaching an Old Dog new tricks!

Last night I had a swim lesson to correct my freestyle. I have been getting really nervous about the swim and I didn't want to revert back to my standby stroke - breaststroke.  You see my breaststroke has always been faster than my freestyle. Even when I was on the high school swim team, I swam faster as a breastroker than a freestyler.

When I started training, my tri coach said, I had to swim freestyle. Begrudgingly, I swam freestyle. I would kick so hard and move my arms so much and still not get anywhere.   I would still be the last one finishing up the swim set and swimming was not fun anymore. Friends and family who have known me for a long time know that I used to be a fish in the  water and for me to not like swimming would be a shock. I was bummed. I really wanted the swim to be easier but it was getting to be just as hard as running. (I am a fast turtle when I am running).

After watching my son swim his first short course swim meet and watching him get a PR in his freestyle, I decided, I wanted to improve my freestyle. So I emailed another triathlon coach who is swimmer to help me out. Lesley came highly recommended. I also watched her race and it was amazing. I wanted to get better. 

Making the phone call was the best thing I have ever done for myself. I learned that freestyle really isn't as hard as I was making it to be. I learned how to improve my stroke and kick the correct way. I learned that I was working way too hard to be an endurance swimmer. I still have a lot of work to do. More drills to complete, but I am determined. I will get better and just maybe... I will keep up with my husband in the water..

Yes, an old dog kind learn new tricks. I am proof positive about this one. Thank you Lesley for working with me! I look forward to working with you after Austin to get better and learn more new tricks!

Happy Training!
Eling



No comments:

Post a Comment