Sunday, March 22, 2015

Spring 2015

Yesterday, I went on a group bike ride and it was great. As I was riding and taking in the scenery, the group and my ability, I realized something.... being a part an athlete is not just about being able to do something, (swim, bike, run, etc...) it is a very mental game. Our group had a wide range of experience, yet we were all there enjoying the first ride of Spring and talking about getting ready for our next event. We all stayed together and rode our bikes.  Someone wrote on FB her thoughts "...Speedy Turtle is mindset not ability. It's all about being badass and taking everyone around you into badassery"  

Our Group of riders - Ironmen, newbies, half ironmen... 
This got me to thinking, what is triathlon all about and why am I doing this??? I am part of triathlon because no matter what group I have joined, everyone is encouraging and willing to be helpful and teach you what they  know or share their experience. This group of athletes support each other. My coach, a very experienced and ranked triathlete is the most inspirational person I know. If I am down, she is there to pick me up and get me back on track. My fellow Speedy Turtles do the same, other groups that I have joined on FB have been an inspiration too... We seem to want to help, inspire and have more people join the ranks of triathlon. 

Seeing this and seeing others inspire makes me realize, that Triathlon is for everyone:  slow, fast, good at one sport, or just good enough to finish all three sports during a race.. we are all there to encourage and cheer each other on..

So, I guess I would have to agree with the statement.... Being a Speedy Turtle is not about ability, but about  how you approach  the training, the race and the camaraderie... we do our best and encourage others to do the same... WE ARE BadASS and we will take everyone around us into badassery!!

Here is to Spring 2015 and the new triathlon season!!

My husband and I riding together!!!
Eling aka Speedy Turtle


No comments:

Post a Comment